Signing legal papers in an office.


Housing permit (HVV) in Rotterdam

Housing Permit (HVV huisvestingsvergunning)

You may be required to have a housing permit HVV (huisvestingsvergunning) to live at a specific address in Rotterdam. Thus, you can only move in and register at the municipality after the housing permit is granted. But don’t worry! There are no costs incurred to obtain this permit and according to our experience, this permit is easily granted. This permit is being granted by the municipality of Rotterdam. The easiest and fastest way to apply for it is online via their website:

To determine the areas where a permit is required, please refer to this map. 

If you would like to know if this applies to one of our The Citylifer apartments, just give us a call or check the apartment description details. 

Police Check

To obtain the permit you will be assessed according to a police check. The municipality will check all people moving into a housing permit area on past criminal behaviour. You will not receive a permit in case you have caused nuisances or displayed criminal behaviour in the past. 

Documents Needed

Finally, the application for this permit should be made online. In general, you will need to attach the following documents:


You can find the files to be filled in as well as the required documents in the same link listed above. A permit decision can be taken within 2 weeks if all the documents are complete.

Table of Contents

Want To Stay Updated About The Citylifer? Sign Up Below And Be The First To Hear About Great Offers, New Openings and Events!